St. Louis, MO - July 4

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: St. Louis, MO - July 4

Post by IMJ on Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:58 pm

Actually I will not be coming to st Louis after all. Between phunky wanting me to be committed and the fact that July 4th is a Monday and i have to work the next day. I think I better stay home where my brand of craziness is appreciated
IMJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Phunky Pharaoh on Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:29 pm

Sorry about the restraining order. But you can't be too careful these days.
And 500 ft isn't THAT much of an imposition, is it?

;-)

Phunky Pharaoh

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Back to top Go down

Post by chirpnbirp on Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:52 pm

@Phunky Pharaoh wrote:In all seriousness, this looks like a great show. And I'm still wrapping my head around the announcement. I did NOT see that coming!
;-)

And Forest Park is a great location. This fair used to be held downtown under the Arch. But they had to move it for a few years as they were doing too much damage to the park grounds every summer. Forest Park is midtown and just about a mile south of the Pageant in University City. And it's where they held the 1904 World's Fair. Which is ALSO where Missourians invented baseball, hotdogs, ice cream cones, shoes, common sense and beer bongs.

We are a hardy & industrious lot and would never hesitate to drop trou and show you. So, come visit!

;-)

Here is a list of all the musical acts I don't recognize:

Mo Pitney
LOCASH
Bobby Bones
Lee Brice
Cowboy Mouth
Eddie Money (thought he was dead. glad he's not)
Sammy Hagar
Dirty Muggs
FloRida (dude or a state, not sure)

And the two I DO recognize:

Here Come The Mummies
George Clinton & Parliament

And water skiing. There will be water skiing on the lake.

;-)

Oo,oo,oo, I know, I know who FloRida is. A sorta kinda rap/hip hop artist. But the only song of his that I know is "Low":
Apple bottom jeans
Boots with the fur
The whole club was lookin at her
She hit the flo
Next thing you know
Shorty got low, low, low ,low, low, low,low,low

The baggy sweat pants and the Reeboks with the straps
She turned around and gave that big booty slap
She hit the flo
Next thing you know
Shorty got low, low,low,low,low,low,low,low

Last edited by chirpnbirp on Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
chirpnbirp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mish on Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:47 pm

Eddie Mummy is playing TWICE?!? Oh, Eddie Money. My mistake.
(But I used to love Eddie Money --- don't think he has much to offer anymore.)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by (Dr.) Beanie on Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:53 pm

Yay! I'll be living in St. Louis by then, so this one should be pretty easy to get to as long as I'm not working Smile The new kid does tend to get the short end of the stick on the schedule...
(Dr.) Beanie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by IMJ on Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:28 pm

@Phunky Pharaoh wrote:Sorry about the restraining order. But you can't be too careful these days.
And 500 ft isn't THAT much of an imposition, is it?

;-)

500ft?
The paper I was served say 100ft. Wishful thinking there phunky. You are aware that by this you can not come to Indianapolis.
IMJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raven on Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:57 pm

Hey, is St. Louis anywhere near Canada? No? Sad

That sounds like a kind of really awesome show. And I'd give my left arm to see George Clinton and P-Funk!

Have a great time, kids Razz
Raven

View user profile https://s1065.photobucket.com/user/ravenheart13/library/

Back to top Go down

Post by chirpnbirp on Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:01 am

@Raven wrote:Hey, is St. Louis anywhere near Canada? No? Sad

That sounds like a kind of really awesome show. And I'd give my left arm to see George Clinton and P-Funk!

Have a great time, kids Razz

P-Funk, the bomb
The desired effect is what you get
When you improve you interplanetary funksmanship

Station WPFUNK, we funk

Let the vibes flow through it
Funk not only moves, it can remove
Ya dig
chirpnbirp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Phunky Pharaoh on Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:06 am

Looks like the boys are slidin' in at the right time this year. At least weather-wise.

Thunderstorms this weekend, but Monday the Fourth, or Krrrakk-N-Boomin' Day as we called it in my homeland of Lower Botswaziswedistan, should be rain free. Overcast and upper '70s and a cool evening.

After Tuesday, the heat comes home.

;-)

I hope Arlington Heights is also able to pull some good weather for Sunday's show at their Frontier Days.

Unfortunately, I may well have to skip this one due to timing & home issues.
That blows, in J-Speak. But I still expect it to be a hot show given the date, the locale and the talent they're playing with. So, if you can, make this one.

And take lots of pics and HD video. I will pay cash.
;-)

(And I may still make it. I am......finagling.)

;-)

P.s. Beanie, sorry, Doctor Beanie.....did you get the short end?

Phunky Pharaoh

Back to top Go down

Post by (Dr.) Beanie on Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:04 am

@Phunky Pharaoh wrote:P.s. Beanie, sorry, Doctor Beanie.....did you get the short end?

Wow, looking back at my post, I realized that was the night before I had my little life/death struggle. Crazy how quickly things can go wrong with no warning, isn't it? As for getting the short end on work, no worries there. I don't start work until next Monday. All I can say about that is I'm a little bit excited, and very nervous :S
(Dr.) Beanie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Limo Ride on Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:15 pm

Great show here in STL today! Boys finished about 1/2 hour ago. Waiting for George Clinton.

Limo Ride

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Phunky Pharaoh on Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:22 pm

Ahh, thank ya, Limo. I was wondering how it went since I couldn't get down there.
Glad you had a good time! Post pics tomorrow if ya got 'em!

Hey, Loretta!

;-)

(Hope you got down there too, Beanie. And I should have realized you'd still be on your recoup time. No worries about the job. It's just College 3.0 with less bureaucracy and much better pay. ;-) )

Phunky Pharaoh

Back to top Go down

Post by (Dr.) Beanie on Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:22 pm

Sorry we didn't see you, Limo! Tons of newbies in the crowd and didn't immediately see any familiar faces from just a brief look around.

As for the show, I agree with Limo; great show! The boys looked like they were having a great time up on stage, and the horns even threw in a quote of "Turn Down For What" (played by the previous band) just for amusement. Cass got a little mixed up on the lyrics during Fenk Shui and had us all getting funky on the floor twice in one verse. I was a little sad to see Midnight take the lines on Fenk Shui with Tut there, as Tut's version is definitely my favorite, but it still sounded great. During the Eddie/Cass drum-off, they invited the Parliament drummer up on stage, which was a pretty cool surprise. No encore, but not surprising with the short set. Four came out for the M&G (Eddie, Midnight, Rah, and Cass very briefly). Overall, it was another great show, despite me spending it in sock feet standing on a poncho after overheating in my muck boots. They announced a return to St. Louis in October, which I'm very much looking forward to!

As for George Clinton/Parliament, we stayed through the first two songs and left. I hate to say it, but I was sorely disappointed. First number was some hip-hop/rap kind of thing. The second was Flashlight, which I love, but it sounded pretty rough, so we decided not to stay. I guess I've just been spoiled on the excellence of live performances by bands like HCTM.
(Dr.) Beanie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mish on Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:31 pm

Thanks for the review, Dr B! And I'm very glad you made it to the show, in spite of the mud!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Limo Ride on Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:00 pm

Hi Dr. B, sorry we didn't see you. I took a walk down in front of the stage about 10 minutes before the set started, but did not recognize anyone. I wore the Limo Ride T-shirt just in case. As you already mentioned, it was a great, if short, set. How easily we get spoiled by HCTM excellence. Out on the lawn, I saw some rather orthodox (recognized by how they dressed) looking religious types, of differing beliefs, enjoying the show with grins on their faces. Made my day.

I concur with regard to the George Clinton/Parliament effort. We stayed with it for about 30 minutes out of respect, but just could not stand any more. The music struck me as jazz influenced, with a lot of over-amplified distortion, a waste of some very talented musicians' efforts. I was hoping that their recent videos on YouTube were the results of poor fan video quality, but no such luck.

I'm guessing that the October return will be at the Pageant, but I sure wish they could fill a larger venue.

Limo Ride

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Limo Ride on Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:23 pm

Late update. Here is what I remember of the set list, but not in order (except opening and closing).
My Party
Booty
VIP
Kinda Lingers
Shake
Bring That Down
Freak Flag
Fenk Shui
Hard at Work
Ra Ra Ra

Appearing: Will Pharaoh, The Flu, Rah, Spazz, Eddie, Cass, Midnight, and KW Tut. Also, as a new touch, a couple of guys dressed in monk robes during VIP were working the chains. They were also a part of one other song that I forgot. I suppose one of them was Jimmy, don't know who else was there.

Limo Ride

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2